Thursday, January 13, 2005

Creating Caring Community

Next Sunday, we will install and ordain new Deacons to their respective ministries. For a long time, the ministry of the Board of Deacons was not fully utilized by congregations. We now know, and value, the creative role Deacons play in creating and sustaining a caring church.

One of the critical marks of a healthy, vibrant community of faith is the way it shows care for each other. It isn't just about making a "friendly" church. Creating a caring community includes: praying for each other in times of need; cooking meals for parents of newborns; checking in with each other informally; taking note of subtle signs of distress and follow up with the person a few days later.

Let me give a personal illustration. A few months ago, I was "up to my ears" with stress and the stuff of life. A church member who had been speaking with me noticed I was not up to par, and took time to call me later in the week. "I don't know what was going on," he said, "and I really don't need to know. I just wanted you to know that I've been praying for you all week."

That's a good sign that God is at work in our community, creating a caring church. May God go with you this week!

Chris