Friday, July 16, 2004

Learning To Celebrate


Welcome To the Woodlawn Chapel Weblog ("blog").  We'll use this as a tool to keep you informed about church events, to share prayer requests, devotions, thoughts for spiritual growth--even comments and feedback about classes and sermons.  I hope it will be useful to the church, and to any other interested folks.
 
Woodlawn Chapel is a growing congregation in the Presbyterian Church (USA).   To find out more about our congregation's history,  staff and programs, and to visit our calendar, click here.  Our web site also has a link to a virtual bookstore where you can order books, music, and CDs. 
 
Today is the last day of Vacation Bible School.  It's been a fun week at "Son Games 2004."  The kids have been busy learning Bible stories, songs, and having a good time.   Each year, they teach me something new.  This year, they've reminded me of the importance of celebration.  I've had a difficult week -- a good friend passed away much too young, and then a dear member of the church also died.  Attending and conducting the funerals and end of life celebrations this week captured most of my energy.  On the way to lead the church member's memorial service in Chicago, my daughter and I nearly got caught in a F4 tornado near Roanoke, IL.  Thankfully, we arrived safely. 
 
Compared to an F4 tornado, VBS is a cake walk! I've been trying to put these different events into some sort of perspective.  In the midst of death and sadness, the joy of children singing and playing has been a real lift.  They're joy reminds me of the lesson my Calvinist/Reformed heritage taught me year's ago in the words of the Westminster Shorter Cathechism: 
Question: "What is the chief end (purpose) of humanity?"
Answer:    "Our chief end is the glorify God, and to enjoy God forever."
 
 How good it is to learn from the children the real basics of life -- team up, get strong, celebrate God!  Enjoy God. Celebrate God's blessings...every day.  Peace, Chris